Graphic Paper Quilling: My Quilled Number “7”

Hello everyone! I have a new paper quilling project to share, and this time I tried something different: graphic quilling with strips on their edge. Numbers and letters look so strong in this style, so I started with a number: my first quilled “7”. 

Paper quilling number 7 in orange, yellow and green, made with on-edge graphic quilling and paper coils

For this project, I chose a warm and bright palette: fiery orange, yellow, fresh light green, and deep dark green. The dark green paper strips form the outline of the number, standing on their edge, giving the “7” a strong shape and a clear silhouette. Inside, I did not want only classic quilling flowers or simple coils. I combined flowing waves, nested scrolls, and tight green coils. The orange and yellow lines run along the main curve, and the little green circles sit in the upper part, adding texture and depth. It is a different feeling from traditional paper quilling cards, more bold and graphic, but I still love every small coil.

Quilled number 7 with dark green outline and orange paper strips, close-up of graphic quilling technique

About the materials: I used 5 mm quilling paper strips, 130 gsm. This weight works well for graphic quilling because the paper bends nicely into smooth curves and still stays firm when it stands on its edge. When the work was ready, I put it in a 10x15 cm box frame under glass. To fix it on the wall, I used double-sided foam tape. I hope it will not fall down.

Quilled paper art number 7 with tight green coils and flowing orange scrolls, quilling typography

  The best part is that this quilled art has a very practical life. My “7” is now the number of our flat, and finally our rented little nest is marked, so everybody can see who lives here. Not bad for a first experiment with quilled paper art! If you like quilling ideas, quilling names and monograms, or want to try graphic quilling letters and numbers, stay with me. More quilling projects are coming soon.

You Might Also Like

If you enjoy this style of quilling, take a look at these two projects from my collection:


Comments

  1. Ну вот КАК? Как можно приклеить тончайшую бумажку ребром, да еще в нужном изгибе?
    Аплодирую стоя!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Люда, не поверишь, но получилось с первого раза! Всю семерку клеили каких-то 2 часа :) Пока любимый рядом фильм смотрел, я приклеила все.
    Спасибо за апплодисменты! Ж:*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A beautiful creation Kate! I love that discontinuity in strips! They have such a nice effect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pritesh! After it was finished I thought, that I should draw the swirls first and then quill them :)

      Delete
  4. very beautiful! looks so neat and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Очень красиво, Катя!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Катюш, какая красота! Шикарная циферка получилась)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. a beautiful seven, i have never seen so far

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate every your word, girls! Thank you very much! I try to do smth new and interesting!

    Дорогие мои девочки, спасибо вам за каждое слово, за то, что оставляете комментарии! Стараюсь и буду стараться для себя, для блога и для вас!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful seven...nd the colour mixing is superb....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Катя, семерка шикарная!
    В подъезде наверное все останавливаются поглазеть :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Катя-а-а-а-а, это нечто!!! Чего я это раньше не видела??? Но лучше поздно, чем никогда!
    Обалденно получилось! Продолжай развиваться в этом направлении - глядишь, и ты тоже завоюешь не только Британию, но и все ее бывшие колонии)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing so beautiful I love you work
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment