Hello, my dear friends!
Today I’m sharing a paper quilling flower tutorial using the husking technique. I have been making husking flowers for many years, and this particular layered design has a little story behind it.
The idea appeared during one of my workshops when one of my students made a small mistake while creating a traditional husking flower. I tried the idea again at home — and I was amazed by the result. I liked it so much that I started using this flower quite often in my own projects.
So, after all these years, I think it is finally time to share how to make it.
Let’s start quilling!
Materials and Tools |
You will need:
- Paper strips in two shades of pink — I recommend strips around 2 mm wide or narrower
- Scissors
- Tweezers
- Sewing or quilling pins
- A cork quilling board or cork mat
- A simple pin template
- PVA glue or another paper-friendly adhesive
- A pearl or another small embellishment for the center
For the original flower, I used dark and light pink paper strips.
Step 1: Prepare the Template
The template is simply a series of dots showing where the pins should be placed.
The great thing about making husking petals this way is that you can easily change the size and shape of the flower petal just by changing the position of the dots.
The template also helps keep the petals symmetrical and gives the finished flower a balanced shape.
For this flower, I used Template No. 1 for the larger petals and Template No. 3 for the smaller petals.
You can also create your own template and experiment with different shapes.
Step 2: Start the Husking Petal
Take a paper strip and make a small loop around a pin at one end. Secure the beginning of the strip with a tiny drop of glue.
Place this pin in the bottom point of the template. This will become the base of the petal.
Now bring the paper strip upward toward the top of the template.
Place another pin in the top point and wrap the paper strip around it. Bring the strip back down toward the base and secure it with a small amount of glue.
At this stage, you have created the first section of the petal.
Step 3: Add the Side Pins
Now place two pins in the upper left and upper right points of the template.
Bring the paper strip around the first side pin and then the other, following the shape of the template. Secure the paper strip with a small amount of glue at the top and bottom.
Continue working through the remaining points of the template.
The pins should be added in the indicated order, rather than placing all of them at once. This makes it much easier to follow the pattern and keeps the paper strip in the correct position.
Step 4: Complete the Petal
Continue wrapping the paper strip around the remaining pins.
Each time, make sure the layers of paper are aligned neatly. Add a small drop of glue at the top and bottom points to keep the layers together.
The paper strip will gradually build up a delicate woven pattern and form the shape of the husking petal.
When you reach the final point, secure the end of the strip with glue.
Step 5: Remove the Pins
Once the glue has set, carefully remove all the pins.
You should now have a delicate husking quilling petal.
For the lower layer of my flower, make five large petals using the larger template and the darker pink paper.
Step 6: Make the Smaller Petals
Now create the second layer.
Use the smaller Template No. 3 and the lighter pink paper strips.
Make five smaller husking petals using exactly the same technique.
Because the second layer is smaller and lighter, it sits naturally inside the first layer and gives the flower a beautiful multilayered 3D effect.
Step 7: Assemble the Flower
Once you have five large petals and five small petals, arrange the larger petals into a circle.
Glue them together at their bases.
Then position the five smaller petals on top, placing them between the larger petals.
Glue the two layers together carefully.
Take your time with this part. A symmetrical arrangement makes a big difference to the final shape of the flower.
Step 8: Add the Center and Create the 3D Shape
Finish the center with a pearl, bead or another small decorative element.
To give the flower more volume, place it on a soft surface such as a sponge, foam mat or even the palm of your hand.
Gently press down in the center of the flower.
This slightly curves the petals and transforms the flat quilling flower into a more dimensional 3D paper flower.
The Pin Template
The diagram below shows exactly how I made the petal.
The red numbered points show where to place the pins and the order in which to add them.
The yellow points indicate where to add a small drop of glue.
The arrows show the direction in which the paper strip travels around the pins.
My brother helped me create this diagram for the original tutorial, and I think it makes the process much easier to understand.
Experimenting with More Layers
After making the original two-layer flower, I couldn't resist experimenting.
I made another version using more than two layers of petals and more than two shades of paper.
This is one of the things I enjoy most about quilling: once you understand the basic technique, you can start changing the size, colors and number of layers to create completely different flowers.
Try combining three or even four shades of the same color, or make each layer a different size.
The possibilities are surprisingly endless.
How to Use a Husking Quilling Flower
These dimensional flowers can be used to decorate:
- handmade greeting cards
- scrapbook pages
- gift boxes
- wedding stationery
- shadow boxes
- paper bouquets
- home décor
- other 3D paper quilling projects
This multilayered husking flower is especially useful when you want to add a delicate but dimensional floral element to a project.
I hope you enjoy making this flower as much as I did. If you create your own version, I would love to see it!
Related Quilling Tutorials
If you enjoyed making this layered husking quilling flower, you may also like these related tutorials:
💜DIY Tutorial: Husking Quilling
Start with the basics of the husking quilling technique and learn how to create delicate paper shapes using pins and a simple template.
💙Husking Flower and Leaves from Slightly Crimped Paper Strips
Explore another variation of the husking technique using slightly crimped paper strips to create textured flowers and delicate quilled leaves.
💝Cosmos Flowers Using Pins and a Template
Learn how to create delicate quilled Cosmos flowers using pins and a template to shape the petals.














What a great tutorial! You've explained it so well.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful flower! Thanks for this great tutorial.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful flower! Thanks for this great tutorial.
ReplyDeleteTq for the tutorial. Very clear. Your bro did well with the diagram.
ReplyDeleteVery usefull, thanks. Great tutorial.
ReplyDeleteОтличный МК! Огромное спасибо!
ReplyDeletePiękny kwiat i świetny kursik :)
ReplyDeletethank you I was searching for it thank u so much
ReplyDeleteI loved it so much ! I haven't tried husking flowers that too with layers ,I will definitely try them now,Thanks a lot for the tutorial :)
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial and well explained. Can we have a tutorial for the letters you quill
ReplyDeletePiękne kwiaty !!! Nigdy nie robiłam w ten sposób, a widzę, że warto !!!
ReplyDeleteJakie piękności. Dzięki za pokazanie ja się robi.Kartka cudowna.Pozdrawiam :).
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThank you for kindly sharing your talent. Great tutorial and your brother's drawing really helped me to understand it.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes from Sydney, Australia.
The instructions were great, the only problem I have is that no-one in any of the tutorials that I have watched so far tells you what length of paper strip to use. They all tell you what width that should be used like 2mm, 3mm or 5mm but that is all. It makes it hard as I have two different size lengths of strips, it was lucky that I decided to use the longer ones, or I would not of had enough to do them.
ReplyDelete